Digital India Corporation is a not for profit Company set up by Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Govt. of India, under Section 8 of Companies Act 2013. Earlier the company was known as ‘Media Lab Asia’. It has been renamed as ‘Digital India Corporation’ w.e.f. Sep 8, 2017. The Company now leads & guides in realizing the vision, objectives and goals of the Digital India program. It provides the strategic support to Ministries / Departments of Centre / States to carry forward the mission of Digital India by way of capacity building for e-Governance projects, promoting best practices, encouraging Public-Private Partnerships (PPP), nurturing innovations and technologies in various domains. To ensure autonomy and viability of the organization in the long run, DIC, will also collaborate and mobilise partnerships with the industry, to evolve revenue based models for service delivery.
To undertake these functions, Digital India Corporation will attract talent and resources both from government and market. The judicious mix of talent will ensure that Government is equipped with a broad spectrum of resources for successful design of Digital India related projects.
The Company encompasses 7 Independent Business Divisions (IBDs) viz.,
- Technology Development & Deployment Division (TDDD)
- NeGD (National e-Governance Division)
- MeitY Startup Hub (MSH)
- India Semiconductor Mission (ISM)
- Digital India Bhashini Division (DIBD)
In addition, the company is also managing PMU for MeitY’s Visvesvaraya PhD Scheme in Electronics & IT.
Inception and Mandate
Amidst this pursuit of innovation, a significant chapter was penned with the establishment of Media Lab Asia. Collaborating with the prestigious Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) from the USA, this initiative was a beacon of technological exploration and collaboration. The collaboration aimed to catalyze research and development in emerging technologies, forming a vital bridge between academia, research, and real-world applications.
Digital India Corporation was founded against the backdrop of the Digital India initiative launched by the Government of India. This visionary initiative aimed to harness the power of digital technologies to empower citizens, enhance government services, promote digital literacy, and foster a digitally inclusive society. DIC, since its inception, has been entrusted with the responsibility of executing key components of the Digital India program.
Roles & Responsibilities
Digital India Corporation has the following broad responsibilities:
- To provide leadership and support to the Government of India through MeitY, to steer and anchor Digital India and all related policy and implementation initiatives. To promote digital transactions including digital payments through various mediums.
- To support MeitY in all its initiatives with policy and implementation-related issues concerning various ongoing programmes & schemes in ICT domain and new initiatives necessitated as a part of the Digital India vision.
- To support Ministries/Departments, both at Centre as well as at States and other stakeholders in crafting progressive e-Governance strategies, to promote Accountability, Efficiency, Efficacy and Transparency.
- To source and make available from both the markets as well as within government, pool of specialized technically skilled manpower for hardware, software, networks, cyber security and laws, standards, quality and testing etc. in ICT domain to Ministries/Deptts. on charge basis under the Central and State Government.
- To promote innovation and evolve models for empowerment of citizens through Digital initiatives and to promote participatory governance and citizen engagement across the government through various platforms including social media.
- To establish the National e-Governance Division and to put in place an institutional mechanism for capacity building of government and its agencies, including assessment and evolution of suitable training packages/modules for capacity building for the Centre and States for Human Capital formation to enhance competitiveness for successful implementation of various projects/schemes in ICT domain to cut on cost and time over run.